Saturday, March 6, 2010

Zuppa Tuscano Soup

I've been meaning to share this recipe for a while, and I found the magazine while cleaning my room today, so here it is. I made it for soup night a while ago, and it was a big hit! Since I was making large quantities, I fudged and added some more of stuff, but this is the basic:

12 oz. Jimmy Dean hot pork sausage
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 c. collard greens
1 49 oz. can and 1 14 oz. can chicken broth
4 russet potatoes, chopped with skins on
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. Italian seasonings
1 point heavy cream (can use milk)
salt & pepper to taste

Heat wok or large soup pot. Add sausage, onion, and garlic. Fry until sausage is cooked through and onions are tender. Break sausage into small pieces as it is cooking. Add chopped collard greens and saute 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, potatoes, and seasonings. Bring to a boil then reduce head and let simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in cream and warm through. Adjust seasonings and serve. Serves 6-8

This is delicious, and easy to tweak according to needs. I would probably drain the fat from the sausage sauteing, but it doesn't matter too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment