Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Pesto Turkey Meatballs

I feel like I've been cooking and baking a lot recently, and I decided I wanted to share some of my recent successes. I mean, recipes. So I'll probably be posting frequently (as frequently as nap times and other chores will allow). 

I'm also the kind of person who rarely sticks to a single recipe when cooking. I look up two or three (thank you, Pinterest!) for ideas and guidelines and cook times, and then do my own thing. So here's what I ended up with tonight. 

Tonight's recipe came from "Slow Cooker Revolution" from America's Test Kitchen. Or it was inspired by that recipe, anyway. Life happened and I didn't get things done early enough to even use the crock pot. I also used this recipe from Pinterest. 


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2/3 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 2/3 (ish) cups pesto (from the refrigerated section of the grocery store - much better than the bottled kind)
- 1/4 (ish) cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp Mayo (the recipe called for one egg yolk, but I was all out of eggs. This was a suggested substitute I found via Google).  
Mix all ingredients together using your hands,
- 2-3 mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut into 8 pieces.  
Roll a bit of the meat mixture into a ball in your hand, then flatten it slightly. Put a mozzarella piece in the middle and roll it up. Repeat until all the meat is used. I think I ended up with about 22 meatballs. It would be easy to freeze the extra at this point to use for a future meal.
Line a baking tray with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Eat immediately to enjoy the hot cheesy goodness. 

(Mine ended up with the cheese spilling out of the meat balls and sticking everything to the foil. A silicon mat may have been more effective, but then I'd have to wash it.)

Serve with pasta (or spaghetti squash) and pasta sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment